What is the purpose of this website?

This website is to assist those who are representing themselves in a case in Nevada.  It explains the laws and procedures to file and respond to different kinds of cases.  The site mainly includes information for family law cases, such as divorce, custody, guardianship, etc.

The forms on this website are provided by the Nevada Supreme Court.  The forms are free and have been approved for use in all Nevada counties.

What areas does this site not cover?

This site does not have forms or information available in the following areas:

  • Child Protective Service ("CPS") Matters (limited information is on the Child Protection page)
  • Gender Changes.  Individuals born in Nevada can change their gender on their birth certificate by completing an Affidavit for Correction of Record and a Supplemental Affidavit through the Nevada Office of Vital Statistics. For more information, call Vital Statistics at (775) 684-4242.
  • Probate / Wills / Trusts / Power of Attorney. Please visit your local Law Library to see if they have information and forms. 
  • Evictions and Small Claims.  Visit your local Justice Court for information on how to file these kinds of cases. 

Where do I file my case?

Where you file your case depends on the kind of case you are filing. 

Most family law issues, such as divorce, child custody, guardianship, name changes, and adoptions are filed in your county's District Court.

Other kinds of cases, such as protection orders, evictions, and small claims, are filed in your local Justice Court.

You can find a directory of all the District Courts and Justice Courts in Nevada by visiting Find My Court

What will it cost to file my case?

There are different filing fees depending on the type of document you are filing and the county where you are filing.  You will need to check with your local Clerk's Office to find out the fee to file your documents.

What if I can't afford to pay the filing fee?

If you cannot afford the filing fee, you can apply to the court to waive the fee.  More information about this is available on the Filing Fees & Waivers page.

Do I need an attorney to file my case?

An attorney is always recommended to ensure that your legal rights are protected.  However, you can represent yourself if you wish.  The forms and information on this website are designed for people who choose to represent themselves.

How can I get a free attorney?

Free attorneys are pretty hard to find!  There are a number of organizations that do provide free legal help in certain situations, but there is a very high demand for their services and no guarantee that an attorney will be provided.  Organizations may be able to provide attorneys depending on the legal issue, client income, citizenship, etc.  You can find links to their pages on the Free & Low Cost Legal Help page.  

Where can I learn more about the law that applies to my case?

You can find out the basics of how to Research the Law on this website.  There are also a number of law libraries where you can go to research your legal issue.  You can find a list of resources on the Law Libraries page.

How long will it take my case to finish?

There is no easy answer to that question since all cases are different.  If you and the other party can agree on some or most of the issues, the case may finish fairly quickly.  But if you cannot reach an agreement, you may need to go to court several times before the judge makes a final decision. 

How can I talk to the judge?

Judges are not allowed to talk to either party separately - all communication with the judge takes place in the courtroom.  

Judges are responsible for making sure that all legal proceedings are fair to both sides.  To ensure fairness, judges are not allowed to engage in "ex parte communication," meaning, they cannot communicate with only one party without the other party being present.  Just as you would not want the judge talking to the other party without you being present, the judge cannot talk to you without the other party being present. 

How can I get a new judge assigned to hear my case?

Before a judge has done anything on a case, each party can file one "peremptory challenge" to have a new judge assigned.  It costs $450 to file a peremptory challenge.  You do not get to pick the new judge that will be assigned; another judge is randomly assigned to your case.   

There are very strict timing requirements for filing a peremptory challenge!  You can read the requirements in Supreme Court Rule 48.1.  Consider very carefully whether you are still able to file a peremptory challenge, since any money you spend on a challenge is not refunded if it turns out you were wrong.  The most important thing to know is that once your judge has held a hearing or ruled on a matter, it is too late to change judges.

Where can I get a copy of my divorce decree or other documents filed in my case?

You can get copies of court documents in your case from the Clerk of Court in the court where your case was filed.  Other courts will not have access to your documents (for instance, if your case was filed in the Nye County District Court, you cannot go to the Lincoln County District Court to get a copy). 

Visit Find My Court if you cannot remember the location of the court where your case was filed.

About This Website

This website is intended to provide general information, forms, and resources for people who are representing themselves in Nevada's courts without a lawyer. There may be additional information you need to know depending on where your case is being handled. If you will be representing yourself in Clark County or Washoe County, you should visit those self-help websites for specialized forms and instructions.