What is required to change my name?

You must file a petition with the court listing the current name, the new name desired, and the reason the name change is requested.  If you have been convicted of a felony, you must disclose this in the forms and you must submit a set of fingerprints to the Court with the name change forms.  Most proposed adult name changes must be published one time in a newspaper in your local county before the court can approve a name change.

Do I really have to put a notice in a newspaper?

Usually.  Publication of your new proposed name is generally required for all adult name changes. 

If you are changing your name to match your gender identity, you do not need to publish a notice.  In other very rare cases, a judge may waive the publication requirement if doing so would put your safety at risk. 

Child name changes are only published if the other parent cannot be found to be notified of the proposed name change.

What if I have been convicted of a felony?

You must provide details of any felony convictions in your paperwork.  You will also have to get fingerprinted and submit a set of your fingerprints to the Court.  If a name change is granted, the court will send a copy of the name change order to the Central Repository for Nevada Records of Criminal History so the new name is included in your criminal record.

How do I change my child's name?

Typically, both parents must agree to change a child's name.  Only one parent's consent may be required if the other parent is deceased or if the other parent has no legal rights to the child.  Please visit Child Name Changes for more information. 

What if the other parent will not agree to change my child's name?

One parent can file for a child's name change, but the other parent must be served with the court papers so the other parent is aware of the proceedings.  A judge may or may not grant a name change for a child without the other parent's consent depending on the circumstances.  Please visit Child Name Changes When Parents Do Not Agree for information on what to do if the other parent will not agree.

About This Website

This website is intended to provide general information, forms, and resources for people who are representing themselves in Nevada's courts without a lawyer. There may be additional information you need to know depending on where your case is being handled. If you will be representing yourself in Clark County or Washoe County, you should visit those self-help websites for specialized forms and instructions.

Chat Now