To petition the court to terminate a parent's rights, there are certain forms you must fill out and file with the court. You can find instructions and all the forms you need to file a termination of parental rights case in this section.


Make sure you understand the basic laws about terminating parental rights before filling out any forms.  Visit the TPR Overview page to learn about the law and the legal requirements to file for a termination of parental rights in Nevada.

Step 1. Complete the Papers

To file for a termination of parental rights, you will need to file ALL of these forms:

  • Civil Cover Sheet  
  • Petition to Terminate Parental Rights 
  • Notice of Hearing 

Civil Cover Sheet

This form is REQUIRED.  This form asks for basic information about you, the other parent, and the children. You are the Petitioner and the other parent is the Respondent.  

Civil Cover Sheet (pdf fillable) 


Petition to Terminate Parental Rights

This form is REQUIRED.  This form tells the judge and the other parent why the parent's rights should be terminated.  Fill out this form completely, and be as detailed as possible about the reasons you want the parent's rights terminated.  The judge will rely on this information at the hearing.

Petition to Terminate Parental Rights (pdf fillable)

Petition to Terminate Parental Rights (pdf)


Notice of Hearing

This form is REQUIRED.  This form sets a court date and tells the other parent they must attend the hearing if they want to oppose the termination.  The Clerk of Court will fill in a hearing date when you file this form. 

Notice of Hearing (pdf fillable)

Notice of Hearing (pdf)


Ask the Clerk to set a court date far enough away that will give you enough time to serve the documents.  You will need to serve:

  1. The other parent.  If you don't know where the other parent is, you may need to publish a notice in a paper and serve the parent's nearest known relative living in Nevada.  This can take 60-90 days.
  2. If you receive public assistance, you must serve the Child Support Office at least 45 days before the hearing.


Step 2. File the Papers

After you fill out the papers above, you will need to file them with the district court in your county.  Visit Find My Court if you are not sure where your local district court is located.

The court will charge you a filing fee to file your papers.  The fee is different in every county.  Find out from your local court what the filing fee will be. 

If you cannot afford the filing fee, please see Filing Fees and Waivers to find out how to ask the court to waive the fee.


Next Step: Serve the Respondent

After you complete the steps on this page, a copy of the Petition and the Notice of Hearing must be hand-delivered to the other parent (the “Respondent”). The Court does not serve the papers for you.  It is up to YOU to make sure your the other parent gets served after you file.  After you have completed the steps on this page, learn all about how to have the parent served by visiting the Serving the Termination Papers page.


The Court does not serve the papers for you.  If you do not make sure the other parent is properly served, your case could be dismissed. 

About This Website

This website is intended to provide general information, forms, and resources for people who are representing themselves in Nevada's courts without a lawyer. There may be additional information you need to know depending on where your case is being handled. If you will be representing yourself in Clark County or Washoe County, you should visit those self-help websites for specialized forms and instructions.