If you have been served with annulment papers, there are things you must do to participate in the annulment case. If you do nothing, your spouse may be able to get a final annulment without you. Visit this section to find out important information you should know, deadlines you must follow, and forms you must file once you have been served.


Make sure you understand the basic annulment concepts so you can decide what to do. Visit Annulment Overview for more information.

Being served with annulment papers can be scary and stressful. Your emotions might make it hard to figure out what to do. It can be tempting to do absolutely nothing because you are too overwhelmed to deal with it. Or you might think if you do nothing, your spouse will not be able to move forward with the annulment.

Ignoring the annulment papers will not make the case go away. In fact, once you are served with the papers, you only have 20 calendar days to file your own papers in response. If you do not, the court could enter a default against you, and your spouse may be able to get everything they asked for in their complaint. This page will explain the steps you need to take to respond to a complaint for annulment.


Step 1. Read the Complaint for Annulment

You first need to figure out what your spouse is asking for out of the annulment. Read the Complaint for Annulment. Don’t worry, the judge has not ordered anything yet – the complaint just tells you what your spouse is asking for as part of the case. You may agree with some, all, or none of the complaint. Write down next to each paragraph in the complaint whether you agree or disagree with what that paragraph says.

If you agree with everything your spouse is asking for, you may not need to file anything. Talk to your spouse about signing a joint Decree of Annulment. But if you disagree with anything your spouse is asking for, you will need to file a response.


If you are not sure what to do, it is always best to talk to a lawyer. Visit Find Legal Help for information on lawyers and free / low-cost legal help. 


Step 2.  Fill Out Papers to Respond to the Annulment

You only have 20 calendar days after being served to file your papers. If you were served more than 20 days ago, you may be able to request an extension with your court.

To respond to the annulment case, you will need to file these forms:

  • Answer (and Maybe a Counterclaim) to Annulment
  • Financial Disclosure Form

Answer (and Maybe a Counterclaim) to Annulment

FILL OUT ONLY ONE OF THE ANSWER FORM OPTIONS BELOW.  You have two choices when responding to the annulment papers:


Financial Disclosure Form ("FDF")

You (and your spouse) have to file a Financial Disclosure Form within 30 days of when you file your Answer. It is best to file it with your Answer so you do not forget later.

The Financial Disclosure Form, or “FDF,” gives information about your employment, your income, your expenses, your property, and your debts. You must attach your three most recent paystubs to this form.  This information helps the judge to have an idea of what financial issues are involved in the annulment. If you do not fill out this form completely and accurately, the court may rule against you.

Attach your last 3 paystubs to this form.

Financial Disclosure Form (pdf)

Financial Disclosure Form (pdf fillable)


Step 3. File Your Papers

After you fill out the papers above, you will need to file them with the same district court where the complaint was filed.  Visit Find My Court if you are not sure where to find the district court.

The court will charge you a filing fee to file your papers.  The fee is different in every county.  Find out from the court what the filing fee will be. 

If you cannot afford the filing fee, please see Filing Fees and Waivers to find out how to ask the court to waive the fee.


Next Step: Serve the Plaintiff

After you complete the steps on this page, a copy of your answer/counterclaim must be sent to your spouse (the “Plaintiff”). The Court does not serve the papers for you.  It is up to YOU to make sure your spouse gets served after you file these papers.  After you have completed the steps on this page, learn all about how to have your spouse served by visiting the How to Serve the Answer/Counterclaim page.

About This Website

This website is intended to provide general information, forms, and resources for people who are representing themselves in Nevada's courts without a lawyer. There may be additional information you need to know depending on where your case is being handled. If you will be representing yourself in Clark County or Washoe County, you should visit those self-help websites for specialized forms and instructions.