If you and your spouse are in agreement on all of the following, you may be able to file a joint petition for annulment:

  • You agree you want an annulment and not a divorce and you believe that you qualify for an annulmentIf you want a divorce, visit the Divorce section of this site instead. 
  • If there are children: the legal custody, physical custody, and visitation schedule for any minor children, plus how to handle child support and medical expenses; and
  • Whether either spouse wants to return to a former or maiden name.

If you and your spouse can reach an agreement on all of the issues above, you can sign and notarize a full agreement and file together for annulment. It will ultimately be up to the judge whether to approve the annulment.  The judge may or may not want to have a hearing to ask some questions first. 


When you file a Joint Petition, you give up certain rights that you would otherwise have:

  1. The right to appeal.
  2. Notice of Entry of Decree (this triggers deadlines for an appeal, but since you are waiving the right to appeal, you do not need the formal Notice of Entry).
  3. The right to request that the judge make certain findings of fact and conclusions of law relating to your agreement in the Joint Petition.
  4. The right to move for a new trial.

Follow the steps below to request a Joint Decree of Annulment:

Stip 1. Fill out the forms. There are several forms both spouses must fill out and sign. 

Clerk bw 2. File the forms. Turn in your completed forms at the District Court. 

Gavel 3. Turn in the decree to the judge. Submit the final decree for the judge to review. 


Stip  Step 1: Complete the Papers

Make sure you understand the basic concepts before filling out any forms. Visit the Annulment Overview page to learn about the law and the legal requirements.

ALL OF THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS MUST BE COMPLETED to file a Joint Petition for Annulment: 

Cover Sheet - required

This form asks for basic information about you, your spouse, and any children that you and your spouse have together.  

Family Cover Sheet (pdf fillable) 


Confidential Information Sheet - required

This form discloses both spouses' social security numbers (which is required for everyone) and helps parents with child support enforcement in the future if needed.

Confidential Information Sheet - WITH CHILDREN (pdf fillable)

Confidential Information Sheet - NO CHILDREN (pdf fillable)

Español (sin hijos)  Tagalog (walang anak)   
Tiếng Việt (Không Trẻ Em)  汉语 (无子女)


Affidavit Of Resident Witness - required if you were NOT married in Nevada

If you were married in Nevada, you can skip this form.

If you were not married in Nevada, this form is REQUIRED.  One spouse must be a Nevada resident for at least 6 weeks to get an annulment in Nevada if you were not married in Nevada.  If you are both Nevada residents, pick one person to name as the Nevada resident and be sure to name that same spouse throughout all of your documents.

This form should be filled out by a friend, coworker, or family member who sees you 3-4 times per week.  It is the proof that one of the spouses has lived in Nevada for at least 6 weeks before filing.

Someone other than you or your spouse must fill out this form as close to the date you will file your papers as possible.  

Affidavit of Resident Witness (pdf fillable)

Español  Tagalog  Tiếng Việt   汉语


Joint Petition for Annulment - required

The Joint Petition tells the judge how you and your spouse have agreed to settle the issues. It includes your full agreement to everything, such as custody, visitation, child support, and whether either spouse will return to a former name. You and your spouse must complete every section, and you both must sign the Joint Petition in front of a notary

Joint Petition for Annulment - No Children (pdf fillable)

Joint Petition for Annulment - With Children (pdf fillable)


If you and your spouse cannot agree on everything in this form, you may have to file on your own. See Filing for Annulment On Your Own  for more information.

Request for Submission - required 

This form asks the judge to review your case without a hearing. 

Request for Submission (pdf fillable) 

Español  Tagalog  Tiếng Việt   汉语


Decree of Annulment - required

The judge will sign the Decree when your agreement is approved. Both spouses must complete and sign the Decree before the judge can sign. 

Joint Petition Annulment Decree - No Children (pdf fillable) 

Joint Petition Annulment Decree - With Children (pdf fillable)


Clerk bw  Step 2: File the Papers

After you fill out the papers above, you will need to file them with the district court in your county.  Visit Find My Court if you are not sure where your local district court is located.

The court will charge you a filing fee to file your papers.  The fee is different in every county.  Find out from your local court what the filing fee will be. 

If you cannot afford the filing fee, please see Filing Fees and Waivers to find out how to apply to waive the fee.


Gavel  Step 3: Submit the Decree to the Judge

Attach a filed copy of the Joint Petition (with the case number and filing date) to the Decree.   

Find out from your local court how to turn these papers in to the judge.

The judge will review your papers, and if everything is completed properly and the judge approves of your agreement, the judge will sign your Decree. The judge may want to have a hearing with you if the judge has questions.  

Whoever gets the final Decree is responsible for the following:

  1. Make sure the Decree is "filed" at the Clerk's office, since the filing date is the effective date of the annulment. Some judges file the Decree for you, and some expect you to file it yourself.  If you receive a decree that has a date on the upper right corner of the first page, the Decree is already filed. But if you receive the original Decree with no markings on the first page, it will be your job to file it at the Clerk's Office. 
  2. Mail a copy of the filed Decree to the other person. After mailing, fill out a Certificate of Mailing and file it with the court to prove that both parties have a copy.

Certificate of Mailing (pdf fillable) 

Español  Tagalog  Tiếng Việt   汉语


About This Website

This website is intended to provide general information, forms, and resources for people who are representing themselves in Nevada's courts without a lawyer. There may be additional information you need to know depending on where your case is being handled. If you will be representing yourself in Clark County or Washoe County, you should visit those self-help websites for specialized forms and instructions.

Chat Now