Custody Paternity & Child Support

If you want to get the court's help with paternity, custody, visitation, child support, and DNA test matters, you can file a child custody/paternity case. There are certain forms you must fill out and file with the court to open a case. Instructions and form you will need are here. 

After you file for custody, you must make sure the other parent is “served” with the papers. The court does not serve the papers for you.  Visit this section to learn about how to have the other parent served, and what to do if you do not know where the other parent can be found.

Once the other party has been served with the complaint and summons, you will have to wait and see what the other person does before you know what your next step will be. The other parent has 21 days after being served with the summons and complaint to file their own papers.  You can learn about the possible next steps in this section.

About This Website

This website is intended to provide general information, forms, and resources for people who are representing themselves in Nevada's courts without a lawyer. There may be additional information you need to know depending on where your case is being handled. If you will be representing yourself in Clark County or Washoe County, you should visit those self-help websites for specialized forms and instructions.

Chat Now