If you are ready to file for divorce but your spouse is not willing to sign the divorce papers, you can file for divorce by yourself. There are certain forms you must fill out and file with the court to open a divorce case. Instructions and all the forms you need to open a divorce case are in this section.

Make sure you understand the basic divorce concepts before filling out any forms. Visit the Divorce Overview and Custody Overview pages for an overview of the law and the legal requirements to file for divorce in Nevada.

Follow these steps to start a divorce case: 

Copy bw 1. Fill out the forms. There are 3 forms you have to fill out. 

Clerk bw 2. File the forms.  Take the completed forms to the District Court to file. 

Personal service bw 3. Serve Defendant.  You must have a neutral person hand-deliver a copy of the filed forms to Defendant. 



Copy bw Step 1. Complete the Papers

To open a divorce case, you will need to file all of the forms below:

Cover Sheet - required

This form asks for basic information about you, your spouse, and any children that you and your spouse have together. You are the Plaintiff and your spouse is the Defendant.  

Family Cover Sheet (pdf fillable)


Summons - required

This form tells your spouse that you have filed for divorce. The form also tells your spouse that he or she must file a response within 21 days, or a default may be entered against them. 

Summons (pdf fillable)

Español  Tagalog  Tiếng Việt  汉语


Complaint for Divorce - required

This form tells the judge and your spouse what you want out of the divorce. You are the Plaintiff and your spouse is the Defendant. You will check boxes and fill in blanks to tell the judge and your spouse things like:

  • What kind of child custody / visitation schedule you would like (if there are children);
  • How much child support should be ordered (if there are children);
  • How you would like to divide the property and debts;
  • If alimony should be ordered;
  • If you want to have a former name restored.

Be sure to fill out all of the sections. If you leave something blank, the judge will not know what you are asking for, and it may slow down your case.

Complaint for Divorce - No Children (pdf fillable)

Español (sin hijos)  Tagalog (Walang Anak)  

Tiếng Việt (Không có con chung)  汉语 (无子女)

Complaint for Divorce - With Children (pdf fillable)

Español (con hijos)   Tagalog (May mga Anak)   

Tiếng Việt (Có con)   汉语(有子女)


Clerk bw Step 2. File the Papers

After you fill out the papers above, you will need to file them with the district court in your county.  Visit Find My Court if you are not sure where your local district court is located.

The court will charge you a filing fee to file your papers.  The fee is different in every county.  Find out from your local court what the filing fee will be. 

If you cannot afford the filing fee, please see Filing Fees and Waivers to find out how to ask the court to waive the fee.


Personal service bw Next Step: Serve the Defendant

After you complete the steps on this page, a copy of the summons and complaint (and anything else you filed) must be hand-delivered to your spouse (the “Defendant”). The Court does not serve the papers for you.  It is up to YOU to make sure your spouse gets served after you file for divorce.  After you have completed the steps on this page, learn all about how to have your spouse served by visiting the How to Serve the Divorce Papers page.


The Court does not serve the papers for you.  If you do not make sure the Defendant is properly served, your case could be dismissed. 

About This Website

This website is intended to provide general information, forms, and resources for people who are representing themselves in Nevada's courts without a lawyer. There may be additional information you need to know depending on where your case is being handled. If you will be representing yourself in Clark County or Washoe County, you should visit those self-help websites for specialized forms and instructions.

Chat Now