A joint petition for divorce is the the quickest and easiest way to get divorced in Nevada. To do this, you and your spouse must be willing to notarize a full agreement on all of the following:

  • If there are children: the legal custody, physical custody, and visitation schedule for any minor children, plus how to handle child support and medical expenses; 
  • How to divide any property and debts; 
  • Whether one spouse will receive alimony and if so, how much and for how long; and
  • Whether either spouse wants to return to a former or maiden name.

If you and your spouse can reach an agreement on all of the issues above, you can file together for divorce. You likely will not have to appear in court to obtain your divorce, since judges often sign these kinds of divorce decrees without a hearing.


When you file a Joint Petition, you give up certain rights that you would otherwise have:

  1. The right to appeal the divorce decree.
  2. Notice of Entry of Decree of Divorce (this triggers deadlines for an appeal, but since you are waiving the right to appeal, you do not need the formal Notice of Entry).
  3. The right to request that the judge make certain findings of fact and conclusions of law relating to your agreement in the Joint Petition.
  4. The right to move for a new trial.

Follow the steps below to get a Joint Decree of Divorce.

Stip 1. Fill out the forms. There are several forms both spouses must fill out and sign. 

Clerk bw 2. File the forms. Turn in your completed forms at the District Court. 

Gavel 3. Turn in the decree to the judge. Submit the final decree for the judge to review. 


Stip Step 1: Complete the Papers

Make sure you understand the basic divorce concepts before filling out any forms. Visit the Divorce Overview and Custody Overview pages for an overview of the law and the legal requirements to file for divorce in Nevada.

ALL OF THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS MUST BE COMPLETED to file a Joint Petition for Divorce.  

Cover Sheet - required

This form asks for basic information about you, your spouse, and any children that you and your spouse have together.  

Family Cover Sheet (pdf fillable) 


Confidential Information Sheet - required

This form discloses both spouses' social security numbers (which is required for everyone filing for divorce) and helps parents with child support enforcement in the future if needed.

Confidential Information Sheet - WITH CHILDREN (pdf fillable)

Confidential Information Sheet - NO CHILDREN (pdf fillable)

Español (sin hijos)  Tagalog (walang anak)   
Tiếng Việt (Không Trẻ Em)  汉语 (无子女)


Affidavit Of Resident Witness - required

One spouse must be a Nevada resident to file for divorce in Nevada. The Affidavit of Resident Witness is the proof that one of the spouses has lived in Nevada for at least 6 weeks before filing for divorce. If you are both Nevada residents, pick one person to name as the Nevada resident and name that same spouse throughout all of your documents. A friend, coworker, or family member who sees you 3-4 times per week can complete the Affidavit of Resident Witness.  

Affidavit of Resident Witness (pdf fillable)

Español  Tagalog  Tiếng Việt   汉语


Joint Petition for Divorce - required

The Joint Petition tells the judge how you and your spouse have agreed to settle your divorce. It includes your full agreement to everything in the divorce, such as custody, visitation, child support, division of property and debts, alimony, and whether either spouse will return to a former name. You and your spouse must complete every section, and you both must sign the Joint Petition in front of a notary. 

Joint Petition for Divorce - No Children (pdf fillable) 

Español (sin hijos)   Tagalog (Walang Anak) 
Tiếng Việt (Không có con chung)  汉语 (无子女)

Joint Petition for Divorce - With Children (pdf fillable)

 Español (con hijos)   Tagalog  (May mga Anak)   
 Tiếng Việt (Có con)   汉语(有子女)


If you and your spouse cannot agree on everything in this form, you may have to file for divorce separately. See Filing for Divorce On Your Own for more information.

Request for Submission - required 

This form asks the judge to review your case without a hearing. 

Request for Submission (pdf fillable) 

Español  Tagalog  Tiếng Việt   汉语


Decree of Divorce - required

The judge will sign the Decree of Divorce when your divorce is approved. Both spouses must complete and sign the Decree of Divorce before the judge can sign. 

Joint Petition Divorce Decree - No Children (pdf fillable) 

Español (sin hijos)  Tagalog (Walang Anak)   
Tiếng Việt (Không có con chung)  汉语 (无子女)

Joint Petition Divorce Decree - With Children (pdf fillable)

Español (con hijos)   Tagalog  (May mga Anak)     
Tiếng Việt (Có con)    汉语(有子女)


You are not divorced until the judge signs the Decree and it is filed with the Clerk of Court. 


Clerk bw Step 2: File the Papers

After you fill out the papers above, you will need to file them with the district court in your county.  Visit Find My Court if you are not sure where your local district court is located.

The court will charge you a filing fee to file your papers.  The fee is different in every county.  Find out from your local court what the filing fee will be. 

If you cannot afford the filing fee, please see Filing Fees and Waivers to find out how to apply to waive the fee.


Gavel Step 3: Submit the Decree to the Judge

Attach a filed copy of the Joint Petition (with the case number and filing date) to the Decree.   

Find out from your local court how to turn these papers in to the judge.

The judge will review your papers, and if everything is completed properly and the judge approves of your agreement, the judge will sign your Decree of Divorce. The judge's staff might call you when the Decree is signed so you can pick it up and file it yourself, or the judge's staff might send the Decree of Divorce to one of the spouses in the mail.

Whoever gets the final Decree is responsible for the following:

  1. Make sure the Decree is "filed" at the Clerk's office, since the filing date is the date the divorce is final. Some judges file the Decree for you, and some expect you to file it yourself.  If you receive a decree that has a date on the upper right corner of the first page, the Decree is already filed. But if you receive the original Decree with no markings on the first page, it will be your job to file it at the Clerk's Office. 
  2. Mail a copy of the filed Decree to the other person. After mailing, fill out a Certificate of Mailing and file it with the court to prove that both parties have a copy.

Certificate of Mailing (pdf fillable) 

Español  Tagalog  Tiếng Việt   汉语

Your divorce is final on the date your Decree of Divorce is “filed” with the Clerk – not the date the judge signs the Decree! Look at the upper right corner of the first page of Decree of Divorce to find the filing date. Do not get remarried until you know for sure that your Decree of Divorce is “filed” with the court.

About This Website

This website is intended to provide general information, forms, and resources for people who are representing themselves in Nevada's courts without a lawyer. There may be additional information you need to know depending on where your case is being handled. If you will be representing yourself in Clark County or Washoe County, you should visit those self-help websites for specialized forms and instructions.

Chat Now