If you have been served with divorce papers, there are things you must do to participate in the divorce case. If you do nothing, your spouse may be able to get a final divorce without you. This page explains important information you should know, deadlines you must follow, and forms you must file once you have been served.

Being served with divorce papers can be scary and stressful. Your emotions might make it hard to figure out what to do. It can be tempting to do nothing because you are too overwhelmed to deal with it. Or you might think if you do nothing, your spouse will not be able to move forward with the divorce.

Ignoring the divorce papers will not make the divorce go away. In fact, once you are served with the papers, you only have 21 calendar days to file your own papers in response. If you do not, the court could enter a default against you, and your spouse may be able to get everything they asked for in their complaint. This page will explain the steps you need to take to respond to a complaint for divorce.

Make sure you understand the basic divorce concepts! You can visit the Divorce Overview and Custody Overview pages for an overview of the basic divorce and custody laws in Nevada


Step 1. Read the Complaint for Divorce

You first need to figure out what your spouse is asking for out of the divorce. Read the Complaint for Divorce. Don’t worry, the judge has not ordered anything yet – the complaint just tells you what your spouse is asking for as part of the divorce. You may agree with some, all, or none of the complaint. Write down next to each paragraph in the complaint whether you agree or disagree with what that paragraph says.

If you agree with everything your spouse is asking for out of the divorce, you may not need to file anything. Talk to your spouse about signing a joint Decree of Divorce. Or, you can do nothing and your spouse will get a default Divorce Decree that includes everything requested in their complaint. But if you disagree with anything your spouse is asking for, you will need to file a response.

If you are not sure what to do, it is always best to talk to a lawyer. Visit Find Legal Help for information on lawyers and free / low-cost legal help. 


Step 2. Fill Out Papers to Respond to the Divorce

You only have 21 calendar days after being served to file your papers. You may be able to request an extension if you cannot file your response within that time. 

To respond to the divorce case, you will need to file these forms:

  • Answer (and maybe a Counterclaim) to Divorce
  • Financial Disclosure Form

Answer (and maybe a Counterclaim) to Divorce

FILL OUT ONLY ONE OF THE ANSWER FORM OPTIONS BELOW.  You have two choices when responding to the divorce papers:

  • File an Answer only. This is the "short form" option. 
    The complaint will have numbered paragraphs with each item about the divorce requested separately.  Your "Answer" tells the judge and your spouse what numbered parts of the complaint you agree with and disagree with. For instance, you might agree with paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 7, 8 of the complaint for divorce, but disagree with paragraphs 4, 5, 6 of the complaint for divorce. Write this in your answer.  You do not have to explain why. This lets the judge and your spouse know what issues will need to be dealt with.

    Answer Only (pdf fillable)
    Español  Tagalog  Tiếng Việt  汉语



Financial Disclosure Form ("FDF")

You (and your spouse) have to file a Financial Disclosure Form within 30 days of when you file your Answer. It is best to file it with your Answer so you do not forget later.

The Financial Disclosure Form, or “FDF,” gives information about your employment, your income, your expenses, your property, and your debts. You must attach your three most recent paystubs to this form.  This information helps the judge to have an idea of what financial issues are involved in the divorce. If you do not fill out this form completely and accurately, the court may rule against you.

Attach your last 3 paystubs to this form.

Financial Disclosure Form (pdf)

Financial Disclosure Form (pdf fillable)


For "high asset" divorces where the parties own $1 million or more in gross assets, or the combined gross income of the parties is $250,000 or more per year, or where either spouse is self-employed or the owner or partner of a business, the parties can ask to opt into the "Complex Divorce Litigation Procedures" under NRCP 16.2(c)(2).  This requires both parties to file a Detailed Financial Disclosure Form (not available here) and raises many other litigation requirements.  Anyone taking part in a Complex Divorce case is highly encouraged to retain an attorney.  You can learn more about finding an attorney under Find Legal Help.


Step 3. File Your Papers

After you fill out the papers above, you will need to file them with the same district court where the complaint was filed.  Visit Find My Court if you are not sure where to find the district court.

The court will charge you a filing fee to file your papers.  The fee is different in every county.  Find out from the court what the filing fee will be. 

If you cannot afford the filing fee, please see Filing Fees and Waivers to find out how to ask the court to waive the fee.


Step 4. Serve the Plaintiff

A copy of your answer/counterclaim (and anything else you filed) must be sent to your spouse (the “Plaintiff”). It is up to YOU to make sure your spouse gets served after you file these papers.  The Court does not serve the papers for you. 

After you file, mail a copy of your answer/counterclaim (and anything else you filed) to the Plaintiff or their attorney if they have one.  You can send it by regular mail. 

Fill out a Certificate of Mailing and file it with the court.

Certificate of Mailing (pdf fillable)

Español  Tagalog  Tiếng Việt   汉语


About This Website

This website is intended to provide general information, forms, and resources for people who are representing themselves in Nevada's courts without a lawyer. There may be additional information you need to know depending on where your case is being handled. If you will be representing yourself in Clark County or Washoe County, you should visit those self-help websites for specialized forms and instructions.

Chat Now