If a child only needs a guardian for six months or less, the parents and guardians can sign temporary guardianship papers. This is a private agreement that does not require a judge's approval.  Read on for more information about how to put an informal, temporary guardianship in place.

If a guardianship will be needed indefinitely, you can file for permanent guardianship through the court. A long-term guardianship must be approved by a judge and typically lasts until the child turns 18.  Read on for more information about how to put a permanent guardianship in place.

About This Website

This website is intended to provide general information, forms, and resources for people who are representing themselves in Nevada's courts without a lawyer. There may be additional information you need to know depending on where your case is being handled. If you will be representing yourself in Clark County or Washoe County, you should visit those self-help websites for specialized forms and instructions.