If a guardianship will be needed indefinitely, you can file for permanent guardianship through the court. A long-term guardianship must be approved by a judge and typically lasts until the child turns 18.  Read on for more information about how to put a permanent guardianship in place.

Before You Begin

Although a judge's approval is required for a permanent guardianship, usually the parties do not have to appear at a court hearing if all parents are in agreement. The judge will typically sign an order granting the guardianship once all of the required papers are filed.  The parties can agree to terminate the guardianship earlier, or anyone can petition the court to terminate the guardianship before then if it is no longer needed.

Before filing for guardianship, it is very important to read through every article in the Guardianship Overview section of this website so you understand the concepts involved. If you decide you need legal help to file your case, you can find out where to get legal assistance by visiting Find Legal Help.

When you are ready to file, follow all of the steps below.


There are programs available to financially assist relatives who are caring for children in their home.  Relatives may be eligible for non-needy caretaker TANF benefits, and those 62 and older may also be eligible for Kinship Care cash benefits and/or legal help.  You can learn more about these programs by visiting your local welfare office, or visiting the Nevada Division of Welfare and Supportive Services website.


 Step 1. Complete the Guardianship Papers

A Note About The Forms:

You will need to submit one petition for each child you would like to be guardian for.

1 or 2 people can ask to be named the guardian over a child. All of the forms are designed for 2 people to ask to be the guardians, but if only 1 person is asking to be a guardian, write "n/a" wherever the form asks for information about the second petitioner or second proposed guardian.

To open a guardianship case, you will need to complete these forms:

  • Civil Court Cover Sheet
  • Confidential Information Sheet
  • Petition for Appointment of Guardian
  • Parent's Consent
  • Child's Consent

 Civil Court Cover Sheet

This form is REQUIRED.  One or two people can ask to be named the guardians over a child.  This form asks for basic information about you, any person who wants to be a co-guardian with you, and the children over whom the you are asking to be the guardian. You are the Petitioner and any proposed co-guardian is the Co-Petitioner.

Civil Court Cover Sheet (pdf fillable)  

Confidential Information Sheet

This form is REQUIRED.  The proposed guardians must provide some form of identification for themselves and the children. You can provide a copy of each person's driver's license, birth certificate, or social security card (or other types listed on the form). This form must be completed to let the court know what identification you are providing, and a copy of the identification must be attached. This information is filed confidentially and is not available to the public.

Confidential Information Sheet (pdf fillable)

Confidential Information Sheet (pdf)


Petition for Appointment of Guardian

This form is REQUIRED.  This form tells the court who is asking to be the guardian and why. The person asking to be the guardian is the "proposed guardian/petitioner." If a second person is asking to be a co-guardian, that person is the "proposed co-guardian/co-petitioner." The child over whom the guardianship is requested are the "proposed protected minors." All sections must be completed.  If something does not apply, write "n/a" in that section.

Petition for Appointment of Guardian (pdf fillable)

Petition for Appointment of Guardian (pdf) 


Parents’ Consent

This form is REQUIRED.  This form gives a parent’s written consent to the guardianship. Both parents must complete a separate consent and sign the consent in front of a notary. Only one parent’s consent is required if the other parent is deceased, unknown, has no legal rights, or has had their parental rights terminated.

Consent and Waiver of Parent (pdf fillable)

Consent and Waiver of Parent (pdf)


If the parents will not consent to the guardianship, a different process must be followed to obtain guardianship over the children. Please see Child Guardianships: If the Parents Do Not Consent for more information.

Child’s Consent

If any of the children who are the subject of the guardianship are age 14 or older, they must also consent to the
guardianship. Any child who is 14 or older must complete one of these forms.

Consent and Waiver of Child (pdf fillable)

Consent and Waiver of Child (pdf)

Step 2. File the Guardianship Papers

After you fill out the papers above, you will need to file them with the district court in your county.  Visit Find My Court if you are not sure where your local district court is located.

The fee for filing guardianship forms is $5.00 for estates that are over $2,500.00. If the estate is less than $2,500.00, there is no filing fee.

If you cannot afford the filing fee, please see Filing Fees and Waivers to find out how to ask the court to waive the fee.

Step 3. Submit the Order to the Judge

After filing all of the documents, you will need to provide a copy of everything you filed to the judge. You must also prepare an Order Appointing Guardian to submit to the judge. Download the following order and complete as much of the Order Appointing Guardian as you can. There are some parts that the judge will fill out later.

Order Appointing Guardian (pdf fillable)

Order Appointing Guardian (pdf)

Find out from your local court where to turn these papers in to the judge.  

The judge will review the papers, and if everything is completed correctly and the judge approves of the guardianship, the judge will sign the Order. The judge's staff might call you when the order is signed so you can pick it up and file it yourself, or the judge's staff might send the order to you in the mail.

Step 4. File the Final Papers

When you get your Order Appointing Guardian, there are a few more things you must do and forms you must file to finish the guardianship case. Make sure you file all three of the forms below to finish up your case.

Notice of Entry of Order Appointing Guardian

After you are appointed the guardian, you must send a copy of the Order Appointing Guardian to all of the child’s required relatives. You must notify all of the relatives listed on "Exhibit B" in your petition.  Fill out the form below, attach a copy of the Order Appointing Guardian, and file it with the Clerk's Office. After you file the form, mail a copy to every relative that is required.

Notice of Entry of Order Appointing Guardian (pdf fillable)

Notice of Entry of Order Appointing Guardian (pdf)


Letters of Guardianship

The letters of guardianship are the proof that you have the power to act as guardian. You have no legal authority to act as guardian until the letters of guardianship are issued! This is the proof you will need to show to anyone who needs to verify that you have the power to act on behalf of the child.

Each guardian must complete a separate form. Complete as much of the form as you can, but do not sign the second page. Bring the form to the courthouse and ask to see the clerk. The clerk will administer the Oath of Guardian, have you sign the form, and will then stamp and file the form.

Letters of Guardianship (pdf fillable)

Letters of Guardianship (pdf)

Guardian's Acknowledgment of Duties

Guardians have many responsibilities. Once appointed, each guardian must complete a form acknowledging all of the duties and responsibilities they are accepting. This is explained more fully on the Powers and Duties of a Guardian page. Your court will probably have a form for you to sign. 


After Guardianship is Finalized

Guardians are required to file more forms periodically with the court to keep the court updated. The forms you will need to file and the deadlines to file them are all listed on the After the Hearing page (even though you did not have a hearing, the requirements are the same). Make sure you are familiar with the forms you will be expected to file in the future. 

About This Website

This website is intended to provide general information, forms, and resources for people who are representing themselves in Nevada's courts without a lawyer. There may be additional information you need to know depending on where your case is being handled. If you will be representing yourself in Clark County or Washoe County, you should visit those self-help websites for specialized forms and instructions.