If a child only needs a guardian for six months or less, the parents and guardians can sign temporary guardianship papers. This is a private agreement that does not require a judge's approval.  Read on for more information about how to put an informal, temporary guardianship in place.

Temporary Guardianship

An informal temporary guardianship lasts for a maximum of six months. It takes effect the day that all required parties sign the document, and automatically expires six months later if no sooner date is given. If a guardianship is still needed after six months, the parties can sign another temporary guardianship agreement or they can file for permanent guardianship through the court.

*This is not a court order and may not work for all purposes.*  Usually, it cannot be used to get medical insurance for a child or permit medical treatment.  A permanent court order is usually needed for these issues.
To create a short-term guardianship, the guardians and both parents can sign and notarize a temporary guardianship agreement. Only one parent’s signature is needed if the other parent is deceased, unknown, has no legal rights, or has had their parental rights terminated. If the child is age 14 or older, the child must also sign the agreement.

Six-Month Temporary Guardianship Agreement (pdf fillable)

Six-Month Temporary Guardianship Agreement (pdf)

About This Website

This website is intended to provide general information, forms, and resources for people who are representing themselves in Nevada's courts without a lawyer. There may be additional information you need to know depending on where your case is being handled. If you will be representing yourself in Clark County or Washoe County, you should visit those self-help websites for specialized forms and instructions.