You can file papers to go to court and ask the judge to appoint you as guardian. There are several forms you must fill out to open a case.  Read on for more information about the forms you must complete and how to open a case.

When you file paperwork asking to be named a guardian, you have to “serve” a copy of the Petition and the Citation on the child, if age 14 or older, many of the child's relatives, and possibly some other agencies. The court does not serve these documents for you; you must make sure the right people are properly served. Visit this section to find out how to serve the relatives.

After filing and serving the guardianship papers, the proposed guardians and the children must appear at a hearing in front of a judge. The parents and other relatives can also attend.  The judge will then decide whether to grant the guardianship. Read this section to find out the things you must do before the guardianship hearing and what to expect at the hearing.

After the guardianship has been approved by the judge, there are several more forms that the guardians must make sure are filed with the court. Some forms are required immediately, and some will be filed in the future throughout the life of the guardianship case. Read on for information about what must be filed and when.

About This Website

This website is intended to provide general information, forms, and resources for people who are representing themselves in Nevada's courts without a lawyer. There may be additional information you need to know depending on where your case is being handled. If you will be representing yourself in Clark County or Washoe County, you should visit those self-help websites for specialized forms and instructions.