Adult Guardianship

If you would like to be appointed the guardian over an adult, there are a number of forms you must fill out to open a case.  The forms will tell the judge about you, anyone who wants to be a co-guardian with you, the person you are asking to be the guardian over, and the reason the guardianship is needed.  Read on for more information about the forms you must complete and how to open a case.

When you file papers asking to be a guardian, you have to “serve” a copy of the Petition and the Citation on the adult who needs a guardian, many of the adult's relatives, and possibly some other agencies. The court does not serve these documents for you; you must make sure they are properly served. Visit this section to find out how to properly serve the relatives and any other required agencies. 

After filing and serving the guardianship papers, the proposed guardians and the adult over whom the guardianship is requested must appear at a hearing in front of a judge.  The judge will then decide whether to grant the guardianship.  Read this section to find out the things you must do before the guardianship hearing and what to expect at the hearing.

After the guardianship has been approved by the judge, there are several more forms that the guardians must make sure are filed with the court. Some forms are required immediately, and some will be filed in the future throughout the life of the guardianship case.  Read on for information about what must be filed and when.  

About This Website

This website is intended to provide general information, forms, and resources for people who are representing themselves in Nevada's courts without a lawyer. There may be additional information you need to know depending on where your case is being handled. If you will be representing yourself in Clark County or Washoe County, you should visit those self-help websites for specialized forms and instructions.

Chat Now