After you file for separation, the next step is to make sure your spouse is “served” with a copy of the summons and complaint (and anything else you filed). The Court does not serve the papers for you. Visit this section to learn about how to have your spouse served, and what to do if you do not know where to find your spouse.


You are responsible for making sure the Complaint and Summons are served to the Defendant after you file.  There are many rules about how to do this, plus options if you do not know where to find the Defendant.  Read How to Have Your Spouse Served in the divorce section of this website.  The information there applies exactly the same to separate maintenance cases. 


About This Website

This website is intended to provide general information, forms, and resources for people who are representing themselves in Nevada's courts without a lawyer. There may be additional information you need to know depending on where your case is being handled. If you will be representing yourself in Clark County or Washoe County, you should visit those self-help websites for specialized forms and instructions.

Chat Now