Whenever you file a legal document, you must provide a copy of what you filed to the other party (or their attorney if represented). It is up to YOU to make sure the other party gets served with anything you file. The Court does not serve the papers for you. This will explain how to serve the Answer & Counterclaim and any other documents you filed in response to the separation case.

What to Serve

You must send the other party a copy of the following:

  • A copy of the Answer (and Counterclaim)
  • A copy of your Financial Disclosure Form

Keep your originals if you have them. Always make copies to send to the other party. 


How to Serve

You can send everything by regular mail. You do not need to send it by certified mail.


Who to Serve

If your spouse does not have an attorney, send everything directly to your spouse.

If your spouse does have an attorney, send everything to the attorney. You can find the attorney’s name and address on the upper left corner of your spouse’s documents. 


File the Certificate of Mailing

After mailing the documents, you will need to fill out a Certificate of Mailing. This form tells the court when, where, and how you served the documents. The Certificate of Mailing must be filed with the court to show that your spouse was properly served.

Certificate of Mailing (pdf fillable)

Certificate of Mailing (pdf)

About This Website

This website is intended to provide general information, forms, and resources for people who are representing themselves in Nevada's courts without a lawyer. There may be additional information you need to know depending on where your case is being handled. If you will be representing yourself in Clark County or Washoe County, you should visit those self-help websites for specialized forms and instructions.