Reporting Child Abuse:

To report suspected child abuse or neglect in Nevada, you can call the Child Abuse Hotline at these numbers:

Clark County: (702) 399-0081
Washoe County: (775) 785-8600
All other Nevada counties: (800) 992-5757

CPS In General

Child Protective Services (“CPS”) is the part of Department of Child and Family Services (“DCFS”) that investigates reports of child abuse and child neglect. Anyone can contact CPS with concerns about a child’s welfare. If a report shows that a child might be in danger, CPS must investigate the child’s safety. After investigating, CPS can do one of three things:

  1. Close a report as unsubstantiated if no abuse or neglect is found. 
  2. Leave the child in the home but offer supportive services to the family as needed. 
  3. Remove the child from the home if the child is in danger. 

Parents and relatives who have been contacted by CPS understandably have many questions, such as:

  • Does the parent need an attorney?
  • When do the parents have to go to court?
  • Can the children live with relatives if they can't live with the parents?
  • What can the relatives do to have the children placed with them?
  • How do the parents get the children back?
  • Where can we go for help?

You can find answers to many questions on the DCFS website.  There are a number of brochures and helpful resources that may answer your questions.   


Resolving Disputes with CPS 

In Clark County, the Ombudsman for Clark County Family Services and Social Services reviews and resolves complaints related to the department of family services.  The Ombudsman can also explain department policies, procedures, and regulations. 

In any other Nevada county, citizens can file a complaint against DCFS with the "Systems Advocate Unit."  This unit responds to requests for information, provider concerns, and resolves complaints involving anything that affects the safety of a child receiving services from DCFS.  The complaint form and instructions can be found on their website.

About This Website

This website is intended to provide general information, forms, and resources for people who are representing themselves in Nevada's courts without a lawyer. There may be additional information you need to know depending on where your case is being handled. If you will be representing yourself in Clark County or Washoe County, you should visit those self-help websites for specialized forms and instructions.

Chat Now