Victims of domestic violence can apply for protection orders to keep their abusers away.  A "temporary protection order" (a "TPO") may be issued for up to 45 days, and an extended protection order may be issued for up to two years. 



Questions bw Before you begin:

  • Make sure you are filling out the correct forms.  A domestic violence protection order can only be granted against close family member, ex-spouse, or ex-boyfriend / girlfriend because of domestic violence.  You cannot file this kind of protection order against an adult sibling or an adult cousin.  
  • Contact an advocate if you need help.  If you want to talk to someone about safety planning, emergency resources, or discuss whether a protection order is a good idea at this point, there are advocates who can help you think through your options.  Visit the Domestic Violence page to find a list of resources. 


 Follow these steps to apply for a protection order against domestic violence:

Copy bw  1. Fill out the forms.  There are 3 or 4 forms you will need to fill out.

Clerk bw  2. File the forms.  File them with your local court.

Emergency Order bw  3. Wait for for the judge's decision.

Checklist  4. What to do if the protection order is granted

Learn more about each step below. 


Copy bw Step 1. Fill out the forms.  

You will have to fill out an application, a confidential information sheet, and a cover sheet for the court. 

Application (required):  This tells the judge about the person you want protection from and why.  The other person will get a copy of this form later. 

DV Application for Temporary Protection Order (pdf fillable)

Español  Tagalog  Tiếng Việt  汉语


Confidential Information Sheet (required): This helps law enforcement locate and serve the other person if a protection order is granted.  The other person will not see this form, so fill it out completely. 

DV Confidential Information Sheet (pdf fillable)

Español  Tagalog  Tiếng Việt  汉语


Cover Sheet (required): This gives the court the information needed to file your case. 

Civil Cover Sheet (pdf fillable)


UCCJEA Declaration: If you are including children in the protection order request, you must also fill out a UCCJEA Declaration Form.

UCCJEA Declaration (pdf fillable)

Español  Tagalog  Tiếng Việt  汉语


Clerk bw Step 2. File the forms. 

There is no fee to file the forms. 

  • If you live in a county with less than 100,000 people, file the forms at your local Justice Court. 
  • If you live in a county with more than 100,000 people, file the forms at your local District Court. 

If you are not sure where your local court is, visit Find My Court.


Emergency Order bw Step 3. Wait for for the judge's decision. 

The judge has to review your application within 24 hours after you file (or the next business day if filed during non-business hours).  The judge has several options when reviewing  your application: 

  • The judge could grant a protection order based just on your written application.
  • The judge could set a hearing if the judge needs to ask more questions before deciding.
  • The judge could deny the request.  

The court should notify you of the decision once the judge has reviewed your application.  If you do not hear anything within a few days, contact the court to find out the status of your application. 


Checklist 4. What to do if the protection order is granted. 

Get copies of your TPO

If there are addresses the other person has to stay away from (work, schools, etc.), get enough copies of the TPO so each location can keep one.  Give a copy to each location so they know the adverse party is to stay away.  The court will give you certified copies for free.  Keep a copy of the TPO with you at all times.  

The Adverse Party will be served

If the protection order is granted, the court will arrange for the Sheriff to serve the other person.  You may be responsible for finding someone to serve them if the Sheriff is not able to get them served.  Whoever serves the adverse party must fill out an Affidavit of Service, and this form must be filed at the court.

If you requested an Extended Protection Order

There will be a hearing.  It is listed on your paperwork.  If you do not attend, the judge cannot extend your order and your TPO will expire. 

The Adverse Party may file to cancel or change the order. 

The other person has the right to ask that the protection order be cancelled or changed.  If they do, the court will set a hearing for you both to attend so the judge can decide whether to cancel or change the terms.  The court will let you know if this happens.  You can file a response, or you can just go to the hearing.  


About This Website

This website is intended to provide general information, forms, and resources for people who are representing themselves in Nevada's courts without a lawyer. There may be additional information you need to know depending on where your case is being handled. If you will be representing yourself in Clark County or Washoe County, you should visit those self-help websites for specialized forms and instructions.

Chat Now