Questions bw Before you begin:

  • Make sure you are filling out the correct forms.  This is to protect a minor who has been harmed by an adult.  A parent or guardian must apply on behalf of the minor, and allege that the person you need protection from has committed a crime of physical / mental injury or sexual abuse / sexual exploitation of a child.  
  • Contact an advocate if you need help.  If you want to talk to someone about safety planning, emergency resources, or discuss whether a protection order is a good idea at this point, there are advocates who can help you think through your options.  Visit the Domestic Violence page to find a list of resources. 

Follow these steps to apply for a protection order due to harm to a minor:

Copy bw  1. Fill out the forms.  There are 3 forms you will need to fill out.

Clerk bw  2. File the forms.  File them with your local court.

Emergency Order bw  3. Wait for for the judge's decision.

Learn more about each step below. 


Copy bw Step 1. Fill out the forms.  

You will have to fill out an application, a confidential information sheet, and a cover sheet for the court. 

Application: This tells the judge about the person you want to stay away from the minor and why.  The other person will get a copy of this form later.  

Application for Protection for Harm to Minor (pdf fillable)

Español  Tagalog  Tiếng Việt  汉语

Confidential Information Sheet: This helps law enforcement locate and serve the other person if a protection order is granted.  The other person will not see this form, so fill it out completely.  

Protection Order Confidential Information Sheet (pdf fillable)

Español  Tagalog  Tiếng Việt  汉语  

Cover Sheet: This gives the court the information needed to file your case. 

Civil Cover Sheet (pdf fillable)


Clerk bw Step 2. File the forms.  

There is no fee to file the forms.

File them at at your local Justice Court.  If you are not sure where that is, visit Find My Court.  


Emergency Order bw Step 3. Wait for a decision from the judge.  

 These cases are usually handled within a few days after you file.  The judge has several options when reviewing your application:

  • The judge could grant a protection order based just on your written application.
  • The judge could set a hearing if the judge needs to ask more questions before deciding.
  • The judge could deny the request.  

The court should notify you of the decision once the judge has reviewed your application.  If you do not hear anything within a few days, contact the court to find out the status of your application. 

If the judge grants an order, law enforcement will serve the other party with copies of your application and the order. 

There will be a hearing in 30-45 days if you requested an extended order.  Make plans to participate in that hearing.

Get copies of your TPO

If there are addresses the other person has to stay away from (work, schools, etc.), get enough copies of the TPO so each location can keep one.  Give a copy to each location so they know the adverse party is to stay away.  The court will give you certified copies for free.  Keep a copy of the TPO with you at all times.  

About This Website

This website is intended to provide general information, forms, and resources for people who are representing themselves in Nevada's courts without a lawyer. There may be additional information you need to know depending on where your case is being handled. If you will be representing yourself in Clark County or Washoe County, you should visit those self-help websites for specialized forms and instructions.

Chat Now