Emergency Order bw What is a protection order?

  A protection order tells someone to stay away from you for safety reasons.  A protection order may include the following:

  • It may order the adverse party (the other party) to stay away from your home, work, school, or other locations.
  • Temporary custody/visitation orders might be included in a domestic violence protecion order if you have children together.
  • If you have pets, a domestic violence protection order can allow you to keep the pets and order the adverse party not to harm, threaten, or harass the pets.  


Confused Should I file a protection order?

 Only you can know if this is the best thing to do.  Getting a protection order against someone you live with or share a child with could affect where you will live, how you will pay  bills, how to handle childcare, etc. 

You may want to talk to an advocate first about your options and have a plan ready.  There are many agencies who can help.  Visit the Domestic Violence section of this website for more information.  You may also want to talk to a lawyer about whether to file a protection order and if there is other legal action you should take.  You can find free and low-cost attorney services on the  Lawyers and Legal Help page.


Calendar bw How long does a protection order last? 

 A "temporary protection order" (a "TPO") can usually be issued for up to 45 days.  The judge can issue a TPO without notifying the other party first.  You must fill out an application, and the judge might want you to come to a hearing if the judge has questions.  If approved, the Sheriff will serve the other person with the TPO. 

You can also request an "extended protection order."   This can be included with your original application, or you can request it later as long as your TPO is in effect.  You and the other person will have to go to a hearing where the judge can ask both of you questions.  At the hearing, the judge will decide whether to extend the order.  If approved, the protection order can be extended for up to two years. 


Court bw What kinds of protection orders are there?

 There are several different kinds of protection orders.  You may qualify for more than one type; you may want to seek legal help if you are not sure which one best fits your situation.  

Domestic Violence Protection Order: 

This is to keep abusive family members and significant others away.  It is based on some kind of family or dating relationship where domestic violence has happened (adult siblings and adult cousins do not qualify for a domestic violence protection order, but may qualify for a different kind of order listed below).  You can find forms and information to apply at the DV Protection Orders page. 

Domestic violence can be an assault, battery, stalking, trespassing, destruction of private property, injuring or killing an animal, threats to do any of these things, and several other acts.  The complete list is at NRS 33.018.      

Stalking & Harassment Order:

This is to keep a person away because they are stalking or harassing the person.  You can find the legal definitions in NRS 200.571-575.  You do not need to be related to the offender to get this kind of order.  You can find forms and information to apply at the Stalking & Harassment Protection Order page. 

Harm to Children: 

This is filed by a parent or guardian who believes that someone is committing a crime of physical / mental injury or sexual abuse / sexual exploitation of a child. You can read the laws regarding this kind of protection order at NRS 33.400.  You can find forms and information to apply at the Harm to Minors page. 

Sexual Assault Protection Order:  

This is for those who are victims of sexual assault. You can read about what might qualify starting at NRS 200.366.  You can find the forms and information to apply at the Sexual Assault Protection Orders page. 

Workplace Harassment: 

This is for employers who need to keep someone away from an employee or the workplace.  You can find forms and information to apply at the Workplace Harassment page.  You can also read the laws regarding this kind of protection order starting at NRS 33.200.

About This Website

This website is intended to provide general information, forms, and resources for people who are representing themselves in Nevada's courts without a lawyer. There may be additional information you need to know depending on where your case is being handled. If you will be representing yourself in Clark County or Washoe County, you should visit those self-help websites for specialized forms and instructions.