Courtroom bw About Workplace Harassment Protection Orders

The procedures on this page are for the employer to follow to keep a person away from the workplace.  The individual who is the subject of the harassment may apply for a different kind of protection order depending on the behavior. 

An employer can apply for a protection order against a person that is threatening or causing harm, bodily injury, or personal property damage at the workplace. The legal definition of acts that qualify is listed at NRS 33.240.


Employers may follow these steps to apply for a protection order in the workplace:

Taking Oath bw 1. Notify the parties.  The employer must usually notify the perpetrator and also the person who is the target of the harassment before filing. 

Copy bw 2. Fill out the forms.  There are 3 forms you will have to fill out to apply.

Clerk bw 3. File the forms.  File these at your local Justice Court. 

Emergency Order bw 4. Wait for a decision from the judge.  You may or may not have a hearing with the judge.

Deadline 1 bw 5. File for an extended order (if needed). The order will be valid for 15 days.  You can apply to extend the order longer if needed. 

Learn more about each step below. 


Taking Oath bw  Step 1. Notify the parties. 

If the employer knows a specific person is the target of the harassment or threat, the employer must make a good faith effort to notify them of the intent to apply for a protection order. 

The employer must also usually notify the person they are filing against (the "adverse party") of the intent to seek a protection order.  This can by done verbally or in writing.  


Copy bw  Step 2. Fill out the forms.  

Fill out an application, a confidential information sheet, and a cover sheet for the court. 

Application: This tells the judge about the person you want protection from and why.  The other person will get a copy of this form later.  

Application for Protection from Workplace Harassment (pdf fillable)

Confidential Information Sheet: This helps law enforcement locate and serve the other person if a protection order is granted.  The other person will not see this form, so fill it out completely.  

Protection Order Confidential Information Sheet (pdf fillable)

Cover Sheet: This gives the court the information needed to file your case. 

Civil Cover Sheet (pdf fillable)


Clerk bw  Step 3. File the forms.  

There will be a fee to file the forms, which may vary among courts.  You will also be required to post a bond.  The purpose of the bond is to compensate the adverse party for costs and damages suffered in case the court determines a protection order was issued wrongfully.  

File them at at your local Justice Court.  If you are not sure where that is, visit Find My Court.  Ask them about the filing fee and bond requirement. 


Emergency Order bw  Step 4. Wait for a decision from the judge.  

 These cases are usually handled within a few days after you file.  The judge has several options when reviewing your application:

  • The judge could grant a protection order based just on your written application.
  • The judge could set a hearing if the judge needs to ask more questions before deciding.
  • The judge could deny the request.  

The court should notify you of the decision once the judge has reviewed your application.  If you do not hear anything within a few days, contact the court to find out the status of your application. 

If the judge grants an order, law enforcement will serve the other party with copies of your application and the order. 

The order will only be valid for 15 days.  You may file for an extension if protection will be needed beyond 15 days.   


Deadline 1 bw Step 5. File for an extended order if needed. 

If you need a protection order for longer than the initial 15 days, you can file an application for an extended order. The court will set a hearing for all parties to attend.  The court may extend the order up to 1 year. 

Application for Extended Protection from Workplace Harassment (pdf fillable)


About This Website

This website is intended to provide general information, forms, and resources for people who are representing themselves in Nevada's courts without a lawyer. There may be additional information you need to know depending on where your case is being handled. If you will be representing yourself in Clark County or Washoe County, you should visit those self-help websites for specialized forms and instructions.